Friday 3 July 2015

Large box tutorial


Good morning everyone!  So, been down with pneumonia, as it turns out and even today, after 24 hours of medication, I STILL have a fever.  It's been rather miserable, and I feel bad for ignoring my blog and readers, and not putting new stuff out there!  Apologies!  On the bright side, I got a lot of work done on my novel, laying around in bed and on the sofa.  Silver linings!

So my middle son arrived from Edmonton yesterday where he--gasp--lives with his father.  ANYWAY, I got a gift that screamed him--he loves chocolate more than life itself, so I got him a good bar and a chocolate trivia game.  I wanted to package them together in the same box (and give him something he could hopefully reuse).  So I designed a box.  A big box.  7" x 4 3/4" x 1.5" deep.

It requires 2 sheets of card stock that you glue together.  So, cut your 2 sheets of card stock 6 3/4" x 10".  You will then score it with the long side down (short side across) at 1.5" from the 2 outer edges. Flip and score the long side at 1/2" and 4 3/4".  You should have 2 sheets that look like this:


Now cut both of them according to the photo:


Add adhesive to one side on one sheet only:


And glue the other sheet over top as shown:


Now add adhesive as shown (if using glue, I'd glue the whole flap, if using a strip you will seal your box better if you tape exactly as shown):


Your box is now assembled.  I angled my flaps that fold in (for easier closing) and I corner rounded the front flap:


And, cause he's a 12 year old boy, I went with some outdoorsy paper, which I only needed to trim a hair off of the long side to make it fit perfectly (this is a DSP stack of 4.5 x 6.5")


And because I had limited non-girly choices and was heavily medicated, I chose a ribbon that really doesn't go!  But he's a boy, and he didn't even notice. He was quite happy, so I'm not going to be my usual picky self. 


I'm sure there are other ways to create a 7" box, but in my muddled state of drugged, feverish confusion, I was unable to come up with one that would only use one sheet of paper!  Sheesh...  Anyhow, if I recorded any of the measurements wrong and this doesn't work for you, please let me know so I can correct my blog!

Thanks for stopping in.  I do hope to post something else in the next day or two now that I am on the mend, however I am terribly behind in my work now.  It never ends!

Have a fantastic day everyone, get out and enjoy the sunshine :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment