Monday 22 June 2015

June 2015 Paper Pumpkin Revamp Continued!



Good morning fellow bloggers!

It's a gorgeous sunny summer morning and I'm so excited!

I thought today I'd share a non-card project from the paper pumpkin kit.  I wanted to go beyond cards, as I love giving treat packages and they are so fun to make.  I don't talk about it much, but I am the ultimate party planner and used to do several a year.  My favorite are treasure hunts, and so the gears in my mind have been turning trying to plan my treats--and ultimately their presentation, as I don't really care what the treat is as long as it comes in a fancy package!  I'm much like a kid:  dress it up and my eyes grow big :)

So today I'm sharing a box.  I started making 2 different types with different closures, but I'll be upfront:  one of them did not work out.  More on that later!

I started with a 1/2 card piece.  So I took the regular card and chopped it down the middle.  It now measures 4 1/4 x 5 1/2.  I then scored it at 1 1/4, 2 1/2, 3 3/4, and 5".  I'm Canadian and we do metric here, but I will forever quote Imperial because the Americans set everything up that way and there's no cm  markings on the scorer.

Now flip and score at 1 1/4 and 3"


Now it's time to cut.  I recommend cutting according to the right image, the left did not work so well. Details on this:  I planned to make one box where the flaps folded inside, and one box where it had a fold over lid (left).  This did not work, the box beneath the lid buckled as the fit was too tight.  I've made them before so I'm not sure why it didn't work, but ANYWAY, it didn't so cut according to the right picture UNLESS you are using DSP paper and NOT card stock.  Paper has enough give for it to still work.


When you're done that, stamp it all pretty!  Much easier when it's flat.


Now fold up all the angles.  You can see the cut lines better in this picture.  Basically, every fold line is cut somewhere!


I now rounded my corners on the box that folds in.  I didn't bother posting pics of the other box, but I sealed the tabs to make a lid with some glue dots on that one.  Now I use almost only Stampin' Up! stuff cause I love it and I LOVE the coordination, but I refuse to waste perfectly fine items like my trusty old corner rounder!  Ours are only $11, but mine is perfectly fine so I use that.  I hate waste, it's ruining our planet--but that's another story, that I'm not going to go into.  This is a no lecture blog!


In this photo I show how to fold and layer the flaps best.  If you do it this way, the only "seam" will be facing the BACK of the box, so it will look prettier.  I use a shocking amount of adhesive each month (about $70 worth) since I make cards for the farmer's markets, so I try to be a bit frugal.  Here I just used 2 1" strips of sticky strip along the edge of the seam at the back of each side (right by my thumb in the photo and on opposite side.


Folded and glued and ready to fill and decorate:


Since I was limiting myself to ONLY the Paper Pumpkin kit (which was painful at times, since I have SO. MUCH. COOL. STUFF. But I managed and this is what I came up with:


They are very cute little boxes, about 1.5" wide (or maybe 1.75) by 1.25".  Perfect for a little treat for a party, favors, etc.

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial, tomorrow brings more June 2015 Paper Pumpkin redo fun!

Thanks for reading and have an amazing day!








No comments:

Post a Comment