Wednesday 10 June 2015

Purse Gift Bag Tutorial



Today's blog is a promised tutorial, and I made it a really simple one in case you're just getting started.  The purse is 5 x 7", and can hold a set of cards or another small and gift item.  Little girls might appreciate it as a little purse even!



Start with a 11" x 12" sheet of paper.  Score the 12" side at 5" and 7".  On the 11" side, score at 2" and 9".  Fold all score lines and cut bottom flaps as shown.


Place sticky strip along one edge, as close to edge as you can.


Fold in edges and seal sticky strip.  


This is what the purse will look like at this point:


Cut 4 1" strips.  I fancied up the bottom edge of the top purse strip with a edge cutter.  I can't recall where I got this particular one.  


To give the strips texture, I ran them through my Big Shot with embossing folders:



Line up your edges and join 2 strips.  I overlapped about 1/2":


Then adhere strips to box edges using sticky strip:


It was an after thought, but I sandwiched my ribbon straps between the layers of paper.  Next time I'm going to use paper strips, the ribbon won't hold itself up and is hard to photograph.



Your purse now looks like this:


All you need to do now is dress it up!  I made flowers using my mixed bunch punch.  I punched out 5 flowers.  If you used varying shades or sponged the edges, it would add more depth and personality, but I was in a rush and didn't today.


I layered 2 full flowers (with edges rolled with the bone folder) on top of each other, and then I cut the petals up on the rest of the flowers.  I rolled the petals with my folder, then glued them around in layers with glue dots.  I then pierced a hole with my paper piercer (the hand held would not punch through this).   After this, I used a round metal embellishment I got from a sewing store, along with retired rhinestone brads from SU and layered them over each other for the center embellishment.  I then glued it to a strip of ribbon that was hung around the purse strap.

                   

And this is my finished project!  I think it's pretty cute and it's a great size for all kinds of gifts.


Please share your thoughts and projects, I'd love to see what you come up with!










2 comments:

  1. Great purse tutorial Weezie. In fact all your blog posts are simply terrific. You put a lot of time and effort into them, and make the projects look very straight forward and easy to accomplish. Your regular stampers must thank their lucky stars for getting a talented demo like you to show them the way! Thanks for sharing your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I appreciate your feedback :)

    ReplyDelete